USD 225 Unpaid Meal Policy
Fowler USD 225 Unpaid Meal Policy
- A meal account for adults and student meals may be established with the district. Parents/guardians are encouraged to prepay for meals at their student’s school.
- Parents/guardians are expected to maintain a positive balance in their student’s meal account. Charging of á la carte items to a meal account shall not be permitted; the purchase of á la carte items will be on a cash only basis.
- Families who have accrued charges equal to or exceeding $100 at the end of each school year will have that debt subject to collection in accordance with policy DP.
- At least three forms of communication shall be provided to a parent/guardian for exceeding the district’s charge limit (1. Email, 2. Phone Call, 3. Written Letter).
- If payment of the negative balance is not received by the end of the academic year, the debt will be turned over to the superintendent or designee for collection (See DP). If the debt is not paid within ten days of mailing the final notice of the negative account balance under policy DP, it shall be considered bad debt for the purposes of federal law concerning unpaid meal charges.
- Payment in satisfaction of any negative balance owed for school meals may be made at the school.
- The district will provide a copy of this unpaid meal charges policy to all households at or before the start of school each year and to families and students who transfer into the district at the time of transfer. The terms of this policy will also be communicated to all district staff responsible for enforcing any aspect of the policy.
Policy approved by USD 225 Board of Education on November 14, 2022.