October 24, 2012 BOE Minutes
UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT #225
SPECIAL BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING ROOM
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:30 p.m.
Call to order: Leighton Miller called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m. with the pledge of allegiance and a prayer.
Members present: Leighton Miller, Tim Milford, Dan Harris, Steve Lundeen, Jan Granados (arrived at 6:40), and Duke Marrs (arrived at 6:50). Marjean Strong was absent. Others present were Dr. Bobbi Williams, Superintendent/Principal and Jim Lentz, SWPRSC Consultant.
Goals Progress with Mr. Jim Lentz
Mr. Lentz asked BOE members to review progress since this time last year when he first met with them. Members responded with:
- Students have expressed they feel they have a greater voice and that it is heard.
- Teachers are positive role models and leaders.
- Created new programs to give students more options (DC3 welding program mentioned specifically).
- Students are performing to expectations.
- Professional development has improved significantly.
Mr. Lentz praised the Board for the detail in the Goals’ Action Plan, acknowledging that everyone had responsibilities to fulfill.
Mr. Lentz asked the Board members to identify their values and how those values were reflected in the District goals.
Mr. Lentz asked the Board to reflect on what they still wanted to improve. Members responded with:
- They want students better prepared for challenges faced in college; they want students better prepared for success – especially in math and science.
- They want everyone to openly communicate.
- They want a risk-free learning environment for students and adults.
- They want more collaboration.
- They want to make sure the needs of all students are being address – from gifted to at-risk and everyone in between.
- They would like to develop more partnerships with other school districts and business/industry to help keep the district strong and competitive.
- They want to do a better job of educating parents on expectations for students today.
Steve Lundeen moved to adjourn the meeting, Jan Granados seconded. Motion Carried 6-0. Time 8:40.
For The Board of Education