July 14, 2022, Board of Education Meeting Minutes
USD #225 Board of Education Meeting
July 14, 2022, 8:30 A.M.
- ROUTINE ITEMS
Call to order: T.J. Milford, Board President, called the meeting to order at 8:33 a.m. Pledge of Allegiance was recited and Milford led a prayer.
Members present: TJ Milford, Cathy Heinz, Fred Boyd, Dana Bartezko & Kim Copenhaver were present. Others present were Jamie Wetig, Superintendent, Erica Littlewood, Board Clerk, and Corri McDowell, Principal.
Jeff Zortman was not present.
Recognition of Visitors/Communication: None
Adoption of Agenda – Milford moved, seconded by Copenhaver to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion carried. 5-0
Jeff Zortman joined the meeting via phone at 8:35 a.m.
- Hearing of Visitors – None
- ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING AGENDA
Approval for the 2022-2023 school year as presented.
- Designate Clerk (Erica Littlewood)
- Designate Deputy Clerk
- Designate Treasurer (Vicki McDowell)
- Approve accounts payable as presented
- Adopt Integrity Bank as the official depository for school district funds- K.S.A. 9-1401
- Designate the Meade County News as the official newspaper- K.S.A.64-101et.seq
- Adopt 1,116-hour school year and adopt the school calendar- K.S.A. 72-1106
- Designate truancy officers for school year: Corri McDowell for Grade School- K.S.A. 72-1113
- Approve 2022-2023 Food Service Agreement
- Appoint Jamie Wetig as food service hearing official
- Appoint Erica Littlewood as food service authorized representative; food service authorized signers and claim contacts
- Appoint Erica Littlewood as determining official for free and reduced meal applications
- Appoint Erica Littlewood as district KPERS representative
- Appoint KASB Legal Assistants as school attorney
- Establish mileage rate same as State established rate for reimbursement (Currently: $0.56) K.S.A. 75-3203
- Adopt early payment request policy (Permission to pay bills that have a penalty or deductions for early payment KSA 12- 105(e)
- Establish petty cash limits: high school: $500.00, district office/grade school: $500.00. K.S.A. 72-8208
- Designate Erica Littlewood & Jamie Wetig as Jr/Sr High Activity Fund K.S.A. 72-8208a
- Designate Erica Littlewood & Jamie Wetig as Grade School Activity Fund K.S.A. 72-8208a
- Appoint Jamie Wetig as compliance coordinator for Title VI, Title VII, Title IX
- Appoint Jamie Wetig as Section 504 (ADA) Coordinator
- Approve annual public notification of non-discrimination
- Approve annual notice to provide a free appropriate public education
- Approve Annual notice of Section 504 (ADA) procedural safeguards
- Resolution to adopt the annual waiver of requirements for generally accepted accounting principles. K.S.A. 75-1120a
- Resolution to establish meeting dates, time and location. K.S.A. 72-8205
- Approve High School Activity Fund resolution requesting exemption from K.S.A. 12-105(b) (Uniform procedure for payment of claims, presentment of claims, payments in advance of approval)
- Approve Grade School Activity Fund resolution requesting exemption from K.S.A. 12-105(b)
- Approve Erica Littlewood as the Freedom of Information Officer
- Resolution to establish Home Rule by Board of Education
- Resolution authorizing destruction of old records K.S.A. 72-5369
- Approve Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan document
- Approve contract with Meade County Health Department for school health services
- Authorize the clerk to make end of year budget expenditures and transfers.
- Approve participation in the following:
- Title 1 (Improving Basic Programs), Title II-A (Preparing, Training, Recruiting High Quality Teachers/Principals), At-Risk, Bi-lingual and, 4-year old at risk
- Appoint SKACD representative
- Economic Development representative
- Nomination for Board President and Vice President
SKACD Representative - Fred Boyd and T.J. Milford (alternative)
Economic Development – T.J. Milford
BOE President: Heinz moved, seconded by Boyd to approve T.J. Milford as BOE president for the 2022-2023 school year. Motion carried 6-0.
BOE Vice-President: Heinz moved, seconded by Milford to approve Kim Copenhaver as BOE vice-president for the 2022-2023 school year. Motion carried 6-0.
Organizational Items: Bartezko moved, seconded by Copenhaver to approve the organizational items as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
- CONSENT AGENDA
- Approval of Minutes (June 9,2022, June 27, 2022, and July 8, 2022)
- Approval of Financial Reports & Payments
- Gifts & Grants
Consent Agenda: Copenhaver moved, seconded by Heinz to approve the consent agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
- Mrs. McDowell, FES Principal
- Newsletters have been sent out.
- Mr. Wetig, Superintendent
- District Budget Process Timeframe
- July 20 - RNR Notification
- August 10 - RNR/2023 Budget Publication
- Aug. 20 - Sept 20 - Hearing (RNR/Budget)
- October 1 - Submit 2023 Budget
- Revenue Neutral Rate
- Historical Enrollment
- KASB Annual Convention 22-23 - November 11th-13th (Wichita)
- Community B2S Celebration
- Board Goal Setting - Meeting Date established for Monday, July 18, 2022, at 6:00 p.m.
- Mr. Milford, President
- Economic Development – Report given
- Kimberly Copenhaver, Member
- Special Education Cooperative – Report given
Revenue Neutral Rate – Milford moved, seconded by Zortman to approve the resolution to notify the intention to exceed the Revenue Neutral Rate and our proposed mill levy rate is 55. Motion carried 6-0.
Recess – 5-minute recess. 9:50 a.m. Regular session resumed at 9:56 a.m.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- NEW BUSINESS
2022-2023 Negotiated Agreement – Copenhaver moved, seconded by Milford to approve negotiations as presented with the adjustment to the salary schedule of $40,000 base with 3 steps. Motion carried 6-0.
Rental Property Policy – Milford moved, seconded by Copenhaver to draft a district rental property policy. Motion carried 6-0.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
Copenhaver moved, seconded by Milford to go into Executive Session for 20 minutes, board and Wetig, to discuss matters relating to employer-employee negotiations whether or not in consultation with the representative or representatives of the body or agency. Motion carried 6-0. 10:02 a.m.
Milford moved, seconded by Boyd to go into Executive Session for 15 minutes, board and Wetig, to discuss personnel matters of non-elected personnel in order to protect the privacy interest of the individual(s) to be discussed, pursuant to non-elected personnel exception under Kansas Open Meetings Act. Motion carried 6-0. 10:24 a.m.
Copenhaver moved, seconded by Batezko to go back into executive session for 10 minutes. Motion carried 6-0. 10:40 a.m.
Copenhaver moved, seconded by Boyd to adjourn the meeting at 10:52 a.m. Motion carried 6-0.
For The Board of Education
_____________________________________, Board Clerk
_____________________________________, Board President