February 8, 2021, Board of Education Meeting Minutes
USD #225 Board of Education Meeting
February 8, 2021, 7:00 P.M.
Meeting held via Zoom
Call to order: T.J. Milford, Board President, called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
Members present: Fred Boyd, Ed Rarden, Kimberly Copenhaver, Jared Weber, Tom Huelskamp, Cathy Heinz, and T.J. Milford were present. Others present were Cherie Nicholson, Superintendent, Corri McDowell, Principal, and Erica Littlewood, Board Clerk.
Recognition of Visitors/Communication: Debbie Wise, Bryan Branstine, Emily Dizmang, Kimberly McLachlan, Jenny Faurot, and Donna Norman
Approve Consent Agenda: Huelskamp moved, seconded by Boyd to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried 7-0.
- Trane completed the work on the motors in the dome on February 3, 2021.
- D.V. Douglass roof work completed, but it was discovered the A/C connected to the ITV room was removed in error. D.V. Douglass is working with district to replace the unit. J. Foster is in contact with Douglass to provide information as requested.
- Faurot, Wise and Norman are working together to replace the greenhouse roof for spring projects with students.
- Boiler repair/maintenance – it was discovered that pump 1 (there are 4) has a leak. Pump 1 heats the GS classrooms. Repairs are being made and classes are being accommodated to the best of the district’s ability.
- Trane inspection and insurance risk inspection both went well.
- Insurance quotes will be delayed until August 2021. New quotes will be requested at that time.
- Dome leaks at concession stand – D.V. Douglass Roofing will be making the repairs; they have not yet been completed.
Discussion only. No action taken.
- No basketball games this week due to opposing team cancelling with COVID related concerns.
- JH basketball season is now complete.
- HS basketball has 2 games next, then they will move on to regionals.
- HS Scholars’ Bowl season is complete.
- JH Scholars’ Bowl has now started.
- Letter jacket patches have been ordered for all activities achieved the past 3 years.
- Science fair is February 11.
- Project will be held for seniors the week before Spring Break.
- Powerlifting continuing and personal records are being surpassed.
- Track practices start March 1. Projection: 8 HS track athlete and 16 JH track athlete participants.
Discussion only. No action taken.
Lighting proposals: Continuation of discussion from January board meeting. No additional bids/information have been received for new dome lighting. Discussion only. No action taken.
Freedom of Information Policy Update: Rarden moved, seconded by Milford to amend the board policy on FOI to include a minimum requirement of $50/hour and $1.00/copy on any request brought to the district. Advance payment required. Charges to compensate for staff time and district resources. Motion carried 7-0.
Economic Development: Milford gave his report.
Next meeting is tomorrow.
Special Ed Co-Op: Copenhaver gave her report.
Next meeting is next week.
Principal Update: McDowell gave her report.
- CTE advisory committee met. Will discontinue inactive pathways and focus on popular pathway. Pathways can be revisited annually. A 3rd advisory will be held this year, instead of the regular 2 meetings.
- Grants – USD 225 has been selected as a finalist for the Esports grant Mr. Adams has been working on. The district has been awarded a $2,500 SnapEd grant, in conjunction with the Meade County Extension Office to be used toward Elijah Zortman’s outdoor project and various GS garden/outdoor projects.
- Surveying of teacher and students – next year’s class offerings and schedule.
- Parent/Teacher conferences in the grade school next week.
- A CTE representative from DC3 will be at the high school on February 18th to discuss that program to 10th and 11th grade students.
- Teacher in-service next week – schedule discussed.
Transportation/Maintenance Updates: Nicholson gave report.
- Transportation updates: There is a route going to DC3 twice a week, custodians are currently covering routes, the district is down activity drivers until DOT physicals are updated, and staff are helping with Aspire routes. Physicals are scheduled for this week. Bryan is looking into vehicle issue with Dodge City route. Will update as more information is known.
Superintendent Update: Nicholson gave her report.
- Freedom of Information act policy and requirements from district via requests.
- ESSER and ESSER 2 funding update. Documentation will follow from Federal guidelines.
- House bill updates were shared. (House Bill 2039- Civics exam for graduating seniors was discussed if passed)
- Board retreat is March 6 at 9:00am
- Negotiations – 2 board members should be trained and part of the negotiations team. Kim Copenhaver will be on the team, and either Tom Huelskamp or TJ Milford will join the team. Letter must be sent to the teacher negotiation committee by March 31.
Milford moved, seconded by Huelskamp to go into executive session for 20 minutes to discuss non-elected personnel under KOMA, board and superintendent. This session is required to protect the privacy interests of the individual(s) to be discussed. Motion carried 7-0. 7:46 p.m.
Jared Weber left the meeting at 8:00 p.m.
JH/HS Track Coach: Milford moved, seconded by Boyd to hire Jenny Faurot as the JH/HS head track coach, and Alex Granados as the assistant JH/ HS track coach. Both coaches will attend JH meets, and only head coach will be required to attend HS meets. Friday practices will be scheduled by coaches, as needed. Motion carried 6-0.
Adjournment: A motion was made by Copenhaver, seconded by Huelskamp to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried 6-0. Time: 8:10 p.m.
For The Board of Education
_____________________________________, Board Clerk
_____________________________________, Board President