January 9, 2023 Board of Education Meeting Minutes
Members Present: TJ Milford, Kimberly Copenhaver, Fred Boyd, Cathy Heinz, Jeff Zortman, and Dana Bartezko.
Also present: Jamie Wetig, Superintendent; Erica Littlewood, Clerk; Corri McDowell, Principal
Guests: Kimberly McLachlan, Debbie Wise, Emily Dizmang, Derrick Dizmang, and Colt Dizmang
- ROUTINE ITEMS
- Call to Order – Milford called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Copenhaver lead in prayer.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Adoption of Agenda (Action) Milford moved, seconded by Boyd to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
- Hearing of Visitors
- Student Leadership Council – Sariah Dizmang presented.
- CONSENT AGENDA (Action)
- Approval of Minutes
- Approval of Financial Reports & Payments
- Cash Balances
- Monthly Register
- Summary of Funds (if available)
- Acceptance of any Gifts & Grants (None)
- Acceptance of Resignations/New Hires (None)
Zortman moved, seconded by Copenhaver to accept the consent agenda as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
- Mrs. McDowell, FES Principal – Report given by McDowell
- Elementary Items
- Mid-Year Data Update
- Curriculum Adoption
- Mr. Wetig, Superintendent – Report given by Wetig
- District Items
- Fowler-Meade Workgroup Update
- Wellness Facilities Update
- Ideatek Lease Agreement
- Additional Business Lease Opportunities (HS)
- TJ Milford, President – Report given by Milford
- Economic Development
Community Daycare, Action Committee, and Housing, Grants, and Development
- Fred Boyd, Member – No Report Given (No meeting)
- Special Education Cooperative (None)
They are planning a special meeting. Details to be announced later.
- BOARD COMMUNICATIONS
- None – Two cards were given to the BOE from staff members.
- OLD BUSINESS
- KASB December 2022 Policy Updates (Discussion)
- NEW BUSINESS
- 7-12 Student Conversation (Feb. 8th @ 6:30 HS/7:30 JH) Discussion among board members
- Community Conversation (Feb. 20th @ 6:30 PM) Discussion among board members
- Activity Night - Donkey Basketball [Fowler-Meade] (Discussion) – Possible dates April 18 or 19, 2023
- Negotiations Preparation (Discussion) – Boyd and Copenhaver to attend.
Location: Dodge City
When: February 2nd, 2023 (6:00 PM)
- ACTION ITEMS
- ELA Curriculum [MyView Literacy, w/ PD, 6-Years = $35,692.06,] (Action)
Copenhaver moved, seconded by Zortman to approve the purchase of the new ELA Curriculum, to be paid with ESSER Funds. Motion carried 6-0.
- First payment to Meade for students 7-12 [$4,846x30=$145,380/2 = $72,690] (Action)
Boyd moved, seconded by Heinz to approve the first payment to Meade USD 226. Motion carried 6-0.
- KASB December 2022 Policy Updates (Action)
Milford moved, seconded by Heinz to approve the KASB policy updates as presented. Motion carried 6-0.
Recess – Five-minute recess taken at 8:46 p.m.
Meeting resumed at 8:51 p.m.
- EXECUTIVE SESSION (Personnel Matters)
Motion: Mr. President, I move we go into Executive Session to discuss personnel matters of non-elected personnel in order to protect the privacy interest of the individual(s) to be discussed, pursuant to non-elected personnel exception under Kansas Open Meetings Act.
Milford moved, seconded by Zortman to go into executive session, board and Wetig, for 10 minutes. Motion carried 6-0. 8:51 p.m.
Milford moved, seconded by Zortman to go back into executive session for 10 minutes. Motion carried 6-0. 9:01 p.m.
Heinz moved, seconded by Copenhaver to go back into executive session for 5 minutes. Motion carried 6-0. 9:12 p.m.
Copenhaver moved, seconded by Milford to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried 6-0. 9:19 p.m.
For The Board of Education
_____________________________________, Board Clerk
_____________________________________, Board President